Monday, January 23, 2012

Teaching Philosophy Reflections


I liked Dereck’s comments about teaching being an evolutionary process and I agree with his comment “that there are not parallels in class dynamics.”  I like his concept of initiating imagination and encouraging the student to form a personal connection to the subject matter.  I found Steve’s comparison of teaching and learning to jazz music, comparing the individual instruments and then the whole band together “flowing and organized” to be very insightful.  Steve also talks about the importance of applying what they learn in class to real life which is very important to me.  Jody makes a good point about how not every student learns the way she does and this is important to address when we are teaching a course.  I agree with her regarding having a “fun and open atmosphere.”  I also like the idea having not only lecture based classes but introducing group work, class discussions, etc. Jody states how she wants to “inspire” her students to enjoy learning.

Regarding my own teaching philosophy, I would plan to have more of a variety of  coursework as opposed to just lectures.  I really like the idea that teaching is an evolutionary process that takes place with each class in each semester.  I already feel strongly that I want to inspire my students in the subjects that I teach so that they will walk away from my class, taking some knowledge with them, and not just being glad the semester is over and forgetting everything from my class because they were there just to “get through it.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment